Newsletter Guidelines and Archive
HU! You Know! Newsletter Submission Guidelines
HU! You Know! will distribute every Monday afternoon. To get placed in the current week’s edition of the newsletter, all submissions are due by noon on Thursdays.
Please note our Internal Communications team will assist and determine if submitted content meets the criteria to be featured.
It’s important when submitting content to provide key information (Who, What, When, Where, Point-of-Contact Name and Number) and any relevant links.
Also, please include images as an attachment for your story. Images must be high resolution and in JPG or PDF file format.
HU! You Know! Sections
A lead story that will be featured at the top of the newsletter and is the high profile content to promote during the current week. This story will be determined by the OUC staff.
A Note From
Monthly notes providing a unique perspective from various campus leaders on relevant, timely topics. This note will be determined by the OUC staff.
Blue Lights Alert
Includes updates from various operational offices to inform the HU Community of any immediate alerts, openings, closures, renovations, safety updates, technical notices, etc., occurring in the current week. Also, any policy updates to announce will be included in this section.
A series of updates from the following offices (Financial Aid, Admissions, Enrollment, etc.) on pertinent information, deadlines, extensions, and orientations, specifically pertaining to students.
Important updates, news, and information from the Howard University Hospital.
Upcoming attractions on all Howard Athletic teams, community service engagements (local, national and international), profiles on team players, etc.
This section will feature content that messages to students on relevant topics; this story will be reviewed and determined by the OUC staff.
Important dates, campus events, etc., from the University Calendar that is essential and relevant to the HU community. This section will contain up to five flyers of events occurring on campus the current week.
- Go to: https://calendar.howard.edu
- Click "Submit Event"
- Complete all necessary information.
For additional information and guidelines on accepted events, visit calendar.howard.edu/content/calendar-guidelines.
This section will consist of resources (seminars, free software updates, professional development/etc.) of the current week that would benefit students and employees.
Normally included during Homecoming season to highlight alumnae; fun facts about the University, its Founders, its alumni network or a student/employee.
- 8/30/21 Howard University Prioritizes Bison Safety
- 8/3/21 Howard University Announces Homecoming Week 2021 Dates
- 7/19/21 Howard University Hosts Vice President Kamala Harris 'Your Vote is your Power'
- 7/7/21 Howard University Welcomes Two Iconic Writers to Join Illustrious Faculty
- 6/21/21 Howard University Hosts Virtual #WorldSickleCellDay Symposium
- 6/8/21 Howard University Congratulates our Scholars
- 5/27/21 Howard Names College of Fine Arts After Iconic Alumnus Chadwick A. Boseman
- 5/12/21 ICYMI: Recap on Commencement and Graduation Ceremonies
- 5/4/21 Howard University Students, All with Unique Journeys, Prepare to Graduate
- 4/26/21 Legendary Attorney Bryan Stevenson to Deliver Commencement Address
- 4/19/21 College of Medicine Receives $1.59 Million Grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies To Increase Mobile Unit COVID-19 Vaccination Efforts
- 4/12/21 Howard Students Named Goldwater and Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Scholars
- 4/5/21 Howard University Community Vaccination Event Helps D.C.’s Northeast Community
- 3/29/21 Howard in Partnership with the National Gallery of Art Launch New Multiyear Undergraduate Internship Program
- 3/22/21 Howard University Announces $10 Million Gift from HPS Investment Partners and The Kapnick Foundation
- 3/1/21 The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation Announces $20 Million Endowment to Establish the Marriott-Sorenson Center for Hospitality Leadership
Share Your Story
Please send all submissions to email@example.com using one of the following subject lines:
- HU! You Know! Submission
for general submissions;
- HU! You Know! [Name of Section]
for a specific section; and
- HU! You Know! Story Idea
if you have an idea, but are unsure of how to execute it for the newsletter.