Our team of dedicated public relations professionals collaborates with the University’s 14 schools and colleges, centers and institutions and various departments to share newsworthy events, new and innovative research, impactful initiatives, and the perspectives of our esteemed faculty experts and student researchers.
Our experienced public relations team acts as a liaison between the media and Howard University spokespeople and are constantly working to amplify the voices of Howard faculty, students, and administration on a wide range of social, political, historical, cultural and scientific issues.
The public relations team assists University partners by:
- Drafting and publishing press releases to the Howard University Newsroom.
- Providing strategic and integrated communications plans.
- Managing media inquiries, pitching and securing interview opportunities.
- Approving and coordinating requests for filming on Howard’s campus.
- Providing media training for Howard faculty.
Press Releases and Announcements
The public relations team assists with drafting and distributing Howard University press releases, media alerts, and other announcements. Our portfolio of campus stakeholders includes various schools and colleges, centers, and University departments across campus. This includes partnering with corporate sponsors to craft joint announcements.
Strategic and Integrated Communications Plans
Whether announcing a one-time event or promoting an ongoing program or project, the public relations team can assist with developing strategic communications plans that bring together various components of the Office of University Communications services to reach a strategic goal. After identifying the intended audience, our public relations team can help craft a plan that include media outreach, social media promotion, internal communications, and more.
The public relations team builds and maintains relationships with the media. This includes fielding inquiries from the press, connecting reporters with faculty experts and University spokespeople, and managing outreach to media to cover major announcements or events. If you are a member of the Howard University community that has been approached by the media, please contact email@example.com so that our team can assist with the inquiry.
The Office of University Communications is responsible for receiving and approving all requests to film on Howard University’s campus. The public relations team issues applications for filming and photography requests and coordinates with approved film crews to successfully execute projects. Any film crew that comes to Howard University’s campus without the proper OUC approvals will be asked to leave campus until the proper approvals are in place.
Film requests require a six-week lead time and may include execution of a location agreement or other licensing agreement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a filming and photography application for your next project.
COVID-19 protocols for filming on Howard’s campus:
- For approved filming/photography requests, each individual visiting campus must download the Bison SAFE app and complete the self-assessment tool on the day of the shoot using the "Vendor or Contractor" option.
- Contractors and vendors who will be on campus for more than four hours in any given week must be fully vaccinated.
- Contractors and vendors who will be on campus for less than four hours in any given week, must have a negative COVID test within a 72-hour window of coming to campus.
The public relations team can provide training for faculty and administrators who would like to develop skills and gain exposure interacting with the media. Media training will be offered on a rolling basis.
For more information, contact email@example.com.